1. Can I share my dreams with you?
2. Can I share my victories and my failures with you?
3. Do you work as hard at being healthy as I do?
4. Do we share similar basic core values?
5. Do you have depth to you or do you live at the surface?
6. Are you trustworthy?
7. Can we run together or is one of us always running ahead of the other one?
8. Do you believe the best about me, even when everyone else doesn't?
9. Do you have permission to change my mind, and do I have permission to change yours?
10. Would you fly across the country tomorrow to help me if I needed it?
Sometimes you may only find one other person that really qualifies for that inner circle position. I can't imagine having more than 10 that would. This is an elite group of special people in your life. This is your core group. You can trust them with your life, and they can trust you with theirs. And every once in a while, your inner circle group may change. For example, the inner circle you build during your college years may need to be updated in your 30's. Sometimes there is a natural separation that happens due to life circumstances. And sometimes people start out safe, and then just drop the ball later on - it's sad, but it happens.
The most important thing to remember in building a solid inner circle is no one has an automatic right to be there, it is a position earned by someone who can carry your heart well. The choice is yours, choose wisely!