Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Different Kind of Competition

I'm going to attempt to put together some thoughts that have been stirring in me for a while, so bear with me.

I'm currently reading "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin. Her story is fascinating to me. I want to create a movement for women that can say "I am Sarah Palin", because there are so many of us that can relate to her. She is the entire package; mom, wife, and public servant extraordinaire. There will be more thoughts and blogs written later about her as I finish the book and go see her in person next Monday!

Anyway, back on track. As I read her story today, I stop to take time to watch one of my favorite shows, The Biggest Loser. I find a common thread between the two that I'd like to share with you all.

Why do we have this mentality when we compete that in order for us to excel, we must push others down in the process? On The Biggest Loser, people feel like they have to "play the game" and put disadvantages on others in order to propel themselves further, but guess what people? If you only focused on yourself, and worked as hard as you can possibly work (keeping your morale high and your body stress free and drama free), and you don't fall below the yellow line, YOU WIN!!! And, you don't crush others along the way who desperately need to be there with you. It's the same with politics. Why must the mud slinging be a part of our campaigns? WHY? WHY? WHY? Why can't it be about how you are most qualified for the job, PERIOD. Why does it have to be about making the other guy look like a loser, a crook, a fraud, or an idiot?

It makes me so sad to read about how this woman (Sarah) was absolutely torn to shreds by the media in the 2008 elections. She came under more scrutiny than most. It was one of the cruelest smear campaigns I have ever witnessed. Which tells me something, people (especially those who oppose her) are afraid of her. As well they should be. I don't believe we've seen the last of what this woman will accomplish in her lifetime, I believe for her it is just the beginning.

I apply this all to myself and I challenge you all in this; this week I realized I have some correcting to do in my own thinking. I was playing a game with a friend and had a fleeting thought..."I hope this time she doesn't score so high". I stopped dead in my tracks. I thought to myself, where did that thought come from? If I'm wishing, why didn't I wish for myself to get the highest score possible, why did I make it about her failing? So as I stretch myself I ask permission to stretch you in this area as well. I wonder what we can do to spread a mindset of humility that causes us to be inspired by other's successes, and saddened by other's failures, not the other way around.

3 comments:

  1. First, Nicole, let me say "Well done!" My sentiments exactly regarding Sarah Palin, her worth, and the unfortunate way we have grown to "measure" people in this country.
    As to the latter part of your message I accept your 'challenge' to watch my thinking and put the other before myself. Too often we are colored by the way the world does things. If we will instead seek to have the servants heart as He instructed us to we will see a changed atmosphere around us. And, we will see others rise us to meet their potential and true calling.
    Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more. And, hopefully will see you Monday night at Sarah Palins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Darla! I am going to see Sarah but the evening session was already sold out so I am going in the afternoon. I can't wait! And, there is definitely more blogging to come on this issue! Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete