Saturday, February 27, 2010

Redefining Beauty Part Two


After I wrote the first blog, I started thinking of the ramifications of distorted self-image. Don't get me wrong, I know we all have times and seasons in our life when we don't feel our best. I am not talking about wanting to be better, I'm talking about self-hatred. I think a lot of women would say they don't hate themselves, but secretly, in the depths of their thoughts, they do.

So here is my question for the day; "What dreams in your heart are on "hold" until you are skinnier/prettier?" How many things as women do we shrink back from because we haven't gotten rid of that acne yet, or our hair isn't quite right, or we still haven't lost those last 15 pounds? I have a confession to make. After giving birth to my 3rd son Jeremiah, I was about 30 pounds overweight. That was the biggest I had ever been and I felt very uncomfortable. I had the opportunity to go back to school that year (2004), and I almost didn't go because of my weight. I wanted to hide in my house and stay out of the general public because I felt so uncomfortable. I am SO glad that in the end I didn't let my weight hold me back. I ended up moving forward and it has been (to this day) one of the most transforming years of my life. It is also the year I wrote my book "Surviving Single Motherhood."

So what is holding you back? What are you waiting for? I challenge you to move past your fear or insecurity and make a way for the women that will go behind you. And then go watch the biggest loser and be inspired by those who put it all out there for the world to see!

1 comment:

  1. Seeing into me again?
    Got it! Thanks =;)

    ReplyDelete